[Openmcl-devel] Recursive tracing/advising?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jul 24 22:51:59 PDT 2007

When a (globally named) function FOO is defined with DEFUN, the compiler's
allowed to assume that functional references to that function name
refer to the function being defined (unless they're lexically shadowed);
it can therefore skip the implicit SYMBOL-FUNCTION ("call whatever is
in the function cell of FOO") on a self-call (a call to FOO from within
FOO.)  This saves an instruction or two on those calls, but (since
TRACE works by changing what SYMBOL-FUNCTION returns) those inlined
self-calls can't be traced.

The compiler can't do this (can't even assume that something defined
by DEFUN won't be redefined later) if the function name is declared
NOTINLINE at the point of the self call:

(defun fact (n)         ; other traditional definition
   (declare (NOTINILINE FACT)) ; and the compiler can't ignore NOTINLINE
   (if (zerop n) 1 (* n (fact (1- n)))))

There's a way to say "as a matter of policy, I'd rather have the
ability to trace functions which call themselves and are defined with
DEFUN and don't care about saving a few cycles per self-call"; I'm
travelling at the moment and don't have a good enough net connection
to explain that, but if you're interested I'll try to explain it when
I get back.