[Openmcl-devel] bootstrapping

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Mar 6 06:36:47 PST 2007

Sometime in the next day or so (honest), I want to try to check in some
changes that'll lead to redefinition of a few constants during the
build process.

Anyone building from CVS would likely encounter continuable errors
during the build process - something like:

> Error: Constant FOO is already defined with a different value (1)
> While executing: DEFINE-CONSTANT, in process listener(1).
> Type :GO to continue, :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> If continued: Redefine FOO to have new value 2
> Type :? for other options.

The constant in question will probably be LOCKPTR.SIZE in some internal
architecture-specific package; when building on PPC, it might happen
for both ppc32 and ppc64.

There'll be some related changes in the kernel, so it's really desirable
to do:

? (rebuild-ccl :full t)

to make sure that everything gets recompiled.  (Aside from the CERRORs
on constant redefinition, there may be a few warnings about forward
references to undefined functions or variables; I think that they'll
all be benign.)