[Openmcl-devel] edit-definition for slot accessors

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Mar 23 06:13:06 PDT 2007

Thanks.  The only thing that I can think of to suggest is that it
might be slightly better to use an indicator of the form (ACCESSOR
. <class-name>) for an accessor defined on a slot in the class whose
name is <class-name>.

In general, what we'd like M-. to be able to do to find the "source
location" of an automatically defined accessor is something like:

- search for a DEFCLASS form which defines the named class
- within that DEFCLASS, search for a slot definition with the
   indicated :accessor or :reader option (or maybe :writer).

If we don't tell M-. what class, it could look at all DEFCLASS forms
until it found one that defined the accessor.

A lot of M-. implementations will probably fall back to just
doing a simple string search if they can't find a reasonable-looking
defining form (so if FOO is recorded as being defined in "foo.lisp"
with an indicator of (ACCESOR . some-class) and that indicator doesn't
help, M-. will just search for the string "foo".  (That's how MCL
handled slot accessors, incidentally, and it "works" some of the time.)
Moral: some source info is better than none ...