[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL 1.0, compilation units and macroexpansion bug?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Nov 10 16:51:40 PST 2007

See section "3.2.3.1.1 Processing of Defining Macros" in the ANSI CL
spec; there may be another section where this is discussed in more
detail, but I can't find it at the moment.

Basically, implementations are allowed to process defining-macros
(like DEFMACRO) that appear in files being compiled in several ways.
In DEFMACRO's case, They can:

(a) make the macroexpansion function available globally,
(b) add it to the lexical environment so that it's visible in the rest of
the compilation, or
(c) both.

OpenMCL generally tries to do (b).  Many other implementations tend to
do (a).  Both behaviors are correct (though I think that OpenMCL's is
more useful.)

If you want a macro definition to be accessible "in the global environment"
(in the case of your example, don't want to have to use &environment),
you can portably do:

(eval-when (:compile-toplevel ...)
   (defmacro ...))

If you -wanted- to restrict the compile-time side-effects to (b) above ...
well, I can't think of a good way to do this (which is part of the
reason that I think that (b) is better default behavior.)