[Openmcl-devel] Tab character in indented Lisp code, turn it off how?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Nov 27 00:50:42 PST 2007

Googling for 'tabs "coding style"'suggests that there are many different
conventions in widespread use (which would have been my guess even if
I hadn't just Googled ...)

Guessing whether "tabs" or "spaces" is the approprate default for a given
user probably doesn't have more than a 50% chance of being right.

Making it easy to customize default editor behavior and to adapt to
different conventions seems more important at this point than changing
the default.  When that's no longer true and it's time to think about
what the default should be, I propose that a coin be flipped.

[If anyone's convinced that they have some compelling argument that's
more persuasive than a coin flip would be, Googling for 'tabs "coding
style" "endless flame war"' might dissuade them of that belief.  Then
again, it might not: didn't the people involved in those discussions
Google first ?]