[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa IDE and ccl-init

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Fri Nov 30 13:00:06 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> It's a bug (sort of related to <http://trac.clozure.com/openmcl/ticket/87
> >).
>
> It's probably sanest to load ~/ccl-init.lisp (nee ~/openmcl-init.lisp)
> in the IDE's initial listener; that's similar to what happens in the
> TTY world, so if your init file wants to print messages or request
> input (or enter a break loop ...) there'd be a way of supporting that.
>
> There -could- be some sort of well-defined interaction between what's
> settable via the preferences pane and what should be defined in the
> (to be named) IDE customization file, but it seems to be cleaner
> if there was no interaction (e.g., if the preferences system handled
> certain things and if the customization file contained things like
> custom Hemlock commands and key bindings.)

I think it would be hard to enforce this distinction.  People are used
to putting arbitrary lisp code in their init files, and I wouldn't
particularly want to stop them even if we could.  Why not just specify
the order in which they happen? I'd load the preferences first, and
then run the init file.