[Openmcl-devel] Aquamacs can't find openmcl

mikel evins mevins at mac.com
Sun Aug 17 05:14:04 PDT 2008

On Aug 17, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Susan Epstein wrote:

> I have the 64-bit version of openmcl installed in ~/ccl on a Mac with
> an Intel Core 2 Duo and Aquamacs distribution 1.4.
>
> Per the instructions, I put
>  (setq inferior-lisp-program "~/ccl/scripts/ccl64")
> in
> ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el
>
> This should let me use SLIME from a file open in Aquamacs. But when I
> try
> M-x slime
> I get "no such file or directory, ~ccl/scripts/openmcl"

This suggests that Aquamacs in not in fact reading ~/Library/
Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el, since the program it's
trying to find (~ccl/scripts/openmcl) is different from the one you
told it to look for (~/ccl/scripts/ccl64). Perhaps the instructions
are out of date? I'm not sure, because I am not an Aquamacs user. Or
perhaps you have a .emacs file in your home directory, and it's
clobbering the value of inferior-lisp-program?

> When I look, of course the file is there, but it is a Unix executable
> and just indicates that there was no such file or directory from line
> 70 and that it logged out.

This part is slightly unclear, but it's probably worth observing that,
in order to run Clozure CL (formerly openmcl), the script requires
that one of two things must be true: either (1) there is an
environment variable named CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY whose value is the
path to your ccl installation, or (2) you edit line 9 of the ccl/
scripts/ccl64 script to replace the value of "CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY"
with the correct path to your installation of ccl. Supposing, for
example, that your home directory is /Users/susan, one of these
variables should be given the value /Users/susan/ccl.

After ensuring that one of those variables is defined correctly
(either by changing your shell startup to define the
CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY environment variable appropriately, or by
editing the ccl64 script), you might try opening a Terminal window and
running ~/ccl/scripts/ccl64. If you get a normal Lisp prompt then ccl
is working properly, and any further problems are likely to be with
Aquamacs or SLIME configuration. If it doesn't work properly, then you
should see a backtrace or kernel debugger output, and it would be
interesting to see what that looks like.

--me