[Openmcl-devel] high res timer for CCL

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Tue Dec 16 12:43:46 PST 2008

thanks Gary. Great feedback and code. I used the code to make a
Hemlock interface integrated timer:

http://www.agentsheets.com/lisp/Clozure_CL/ns%20Timer.lisp

One curious thing you will find in the code is that the timer function
is called 4 times. This is because the it takes quite a bit of time to
call the timer itself  (~3us on my intel mac) which needs to be
compensated.  Further, calling the timer function, or any foreign
function, appears to take more time the first time around. You can run
this test:

(without-interrupts
(let (t1 t2 t3 t4)
  (setq t1 (#_mach_absolute_time))
  (setq t2 (#_mach_absolute_time))
  (setq t3 (#_mach_absolute_time))
  (setq t4 (#_mach_absolute_time))
  (format t "~%t2-t1=~A, t3-t2=~A, t4-t3=~A" (- t2 t1) (- t3 t2) (- t4
t3))))

I am getting t2-t1 to be significantly higher on average than t3 - t2
or t4 - t3

by inserting the code to be measured between t3 and t4 one can
estimate the time is takes to run the code to be (t4 - t3) - (t3 - t2)
and ignoring t1

Just wondering: why would it take more time the first time around? Is
there some kind of FFI call caching going on?

Alex