[Openmcl-devel] Three questions

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Fri Feb 8 23:58:50 PST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:50 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Andrew Shalit wrote:

>>> I only know of the usual Cocoa/Objective-C ways:
>>> * register to receive NSWindowWillCloseNotification
>>> * implement windowWillClose: in the window's delegate
>>
>> This is a good example of the kind of thing that I think works better
>> in MCL, which builds a clean Lisp layer on top of the native Mac OS
>> libraries, rather than just providing a thin Lisp interface for
>> directly programming the Mac OS libraries.
>
> I'd forgotten that there were no memory management problems with (or
> limitations to) MCL's approach.  Ah, truly that was a Golden Age ...

LOL!

Although it is certainly true that the Golden Age had its rough edges,
it was (if memory serves) better than the current situation where, if
one tries to operate on a retained handle to an NSWindow that the user
has closed, CCL dumps core.  (I don't mean to rag on CCL here.  From
what I can tell, this is a Cocoa issue.  I haven't actually tried it,
but I see no reason to believe that an Objective C program would
behave any differently.  But what do I know?)

rg