[Openmcl-devel] Closing a stream with :abort

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Feb 28 00:08:14 UTC 2008

If a file's OPENed with :IF-EXISTS :SUPERSEDE, its previous contents
are restored if it's CLOSEd with :ABORT true:

? (delete-file "home:content")
? (with-open-file (f "home:content" :direction :output :if-does-not-exist :create)
   (write-line "This content should either be overwritten or preserved" f))
"This content should either be overwritten or preserved"
? (with-open-file (f "home:content" :direction :output :if-does-not-exist :create :if-exists :supersede)
   (write-line "new content" f)
   (force-output f)
   (close f :abort t))

I think you're right that if the file was created by OPEN, closing
it with :ABORT true should try to delete it (and that doesn't happen).
I'll try to fix that soon.