[Openmcl-devel] Issues with CCL and "Hysterical" voice

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Thu Jan 17 14:27:16 PST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Gary Byers wrote:

> My intuition says that if we wrote a little ObjC program that tried
> to speak in the Hysterical voice and waited until that voice stopped
> speaking, we'd see similar results.  My intuition might be wrong,
> but this really looks like some problem with how the Hysterical voice
> is wrapped by Cocoa on x86-64 Leopard.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.
I modified the simple CurrencyConverter XCode project by adding these
lines to the implementation of ConverterController:

NSAutoreleasePool * speechPool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
NSSpeechSynthesizer * theSynth = [[[NSSpeechSynthesizer alloc]
initWithVoice: @"com.apple.speech.synthesis.voice.Hysterical"]
autorelease];
[theSynth startSpeakingString: @"Hysterical"];
[speechPool drain];

When built and run, pressing the button (or return key) does the
conversion and speaks in the "Hysterical" voice. No other problem is
evident - cpu and usage return to their former values when speaking is
through. I may be misunderstanding you (wouldn't be the first time!),
but I think the problem seen using this voice from CCL does not
manifest from Cocoa itself - at least a simple Objective-C Cocoa
application can use this voice without issue.

regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffaelcavallaro at mac.com