[Openmcl-devel] Solaris x86-64 progress

Chris Curtis enderx12 at mac.com
Fri Jan 18 14:25:10 PST 2008

I now have a kernel that successfully compiles, starts up and dies as
expected trying to load the as-yet-nonexistent heap image. There
wasn't too much I had to do that wasn't already at least sketched out.
(M4 is still a royal pain, in case anyone wondered.)

At the moment I'm sorting through the syscalls, which are enormously
tedious, and also somewhat more complex than anticipated. There are
two main issues:

- Solaris sockets are just plain different. (For example, socket()
isn't a syscall.) There's a lot of work to dig through the APIs on
both sides to make sure everything lines up correctly, but I expect it
to be relatively straightforward.

- Solaris has a bunch of subcoded syscalls. For example, setpgid is
actually done by calling syscall(SYS_pgrpsys, 4, pgid). This one is a
little more complicated and I'm not quite sure what the Right Thing To
Do is.

--chris