[Openmcl-devel] Why is my pointer not a pointer?

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Wed Jul 16 23:27:54 PDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 10:18 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> it shouldn't be surprising that something could be both
> "an instance of a class for which certain ObjC and CLOS
> methods are applicable" and "a pointer to foreign memory."

Well, it surprises me.  I thought the FFI preserved the distinction
between an object and a pointer to an object, otherwise why
distinguish between (:struct foo) and (:* (:struct foo)) as foreign
types?  (Feel free to treat that as a rhetorical question.  I know
you've got more important things to do.)

Thanks for the explanation!

rg