[Openmcl-devel] 32bit system

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Mon Jun 16 12:52:57 PDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 5:55 AM, Gary Byers wrote:

>> Several months ago some one on MCL mailing list said MCL 5.2 will be
>> open-sourced, but things didn't change since then. I'm not a MCL
>> user (using
>> Clozure CL 1.2 now) but thought that the MCL CLIM & IDE maybe still
>> useful
>> for Lisp programmers on Mac if these components can be ported to
>> Clozure
>> CL... What's your opinion?
>

> I don't know exactly what the licensing status of CLIM is.
>
> Entirely personal opinion:
>
> It'd probably be wrong to say that there's nothing worth salvaging/
> using
> from MCL, but it's not really obvious to me what that would be.
>
> Put another way: there was a lot of good user-interface sensibility in
> MCL and there was a lot of effort put into making it a usable and
> productive environment for many people for many years.  Those are good
> things, but the technology and the code (with some possible
> exceptions) aren't directly related to those strengths in any obvious
> way.

Gary's personal opinion notwithstanding, we are working with a company
to port their large MCL application to CCL running on Intel.  We
decided that the best route to take for this was to port the portions
of the MCL Macintosh interface to CCL.  We don't yet know precisely
how much of MCL that will require and how much work it would be to
bring up the MCL IDE once the work for this customer is done.  We
should know by the end of the summer.  At that point, we will likely
raise the issue with the MCL community to see if there's enough
interest to finish the work.

Andrew