[Openmcl-devel] user submissions and open-sourceness

Hamilton Link helink at sandia.gov
Mon Jun 16 13:34:10 PDT 2008

I'm not affiliated with Clozure.  I've worked with mcl/openmcl/ccl for
most of ten years, have spent modest amounts of time scrounging around
in the code, have read all the implementation docs a couple times over,
and such.  I have submitted bug fixes to a few things (tcp streams iirc,
some GUI stuff... maybe more).  I implemented the cocoa inspector and
the OpenGL demo and tested out the early hemlock stuff a fair amount,
and now and then I've helped out rsynching the server or running this or
that CLTL2 regression test suite.

I'd pretty much never try porting ccl to a new platform or debugging a
brand new port.

I think one reason ccl works as well as it does is because although it
is open source, there are extremely knowledgeable, dedicated people who
spend a lot of time maintaining and supporting it.  SVN, Apache, and
many other "open source" projects have a similar model dividing the
world into gurus and non-gurus, and I think it works well because users
get a quality product and as new gurus arise they are generally
welcomed... and when non-gurus suggest a patch it gets sanity checked
and incorporated in an orderly fashion.

My point is... I don't think anyone can reasonably expect useada.u to
jump in and work on a 32-bit x86 port (or <user> to jump in and work on
<major rewrite>).  It's silly to suggest it.  But I would also encourage
everyone to contribute to ccl in whatever capacity they feel able.  Such
help has always been welcomed, whether it has been running their
application in multiple versions of ccl, porting and testing lisp
libraries, reporting bugs and problems while developing in lisp, helping
debug or submitting probable fixes, updating or editing documentation,
or developing new functionality for ccl.

thanks,
hamilton