[Openmcl-devel] 32bit system

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Mon Jun 16 13:42:50 PDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 3:45 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> However, I see little use to declaring something open source if you're
> not open to contributions.... Maybe Clozure Associates doesn't expect
> any because nobody came forward yet??? Ofcourse, looking at your
> reaction, this now may have turned into a self-fulfilling prophesy...

Mea culpa.  CCL has grown a lot in the last couple of years, and our
infrastructure has gone through a lot of changes.  We haven't yet set
up a contribs directory or documented the contribution process, but
that doesn't mean we don't want contributions.  It's in our plans to
make this clearer moving forward.

That said, there are stages in the software development process where
contributions are not necessarily helpful. As Gary pointed out, the 32-
bit Intel port is publicly accessible if you really want to have a
look (hint: http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/openmcl/branches).  We
haven't announced it because we think it's really not ready for people
to use, and at this point we think comments would be more distracting
than helpful.  But once it's more useable, we will be very interested
in feedback, and because it's open source people will also be able to
send in fixes for bugs that they find.  It would be great to see that
happen.