[Openmcl-devel] Problem installing Hunchentoot

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Jun 24 04:50:30 PDT 2008

Gary Byers wrote:
> A few years ago, Bryan O'Connor added some code to asdf.lisp (and
> to OpenMCL's REQUIRE) to try and get REQUIRE and ASDF to work together
> better; it's near the bottom of:
>

> <http://clozure.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/ccl/tools/asdf.lisp?revision=1.4&root=cvs-0.14&view=markup>

Just as a design question --- is there some reason why it is felt to be
important that REQUIRE be an ASDF wrapper?

I have long used Allegro Common Lisp, and they seem to have heavily
hacked their REQUIRE to do a lot of vendor library loading.  It actually
seems to me potentially a good thing that ASDF loading and REQUIRE be
different.

Not only that, but ASDF at least theoretically provides several
operations other than just loading (e.g., at my company we are trying to
develop a culture where we make heavy use of asdf:test-op) and it's
possible under certain circumstances to pass additional arguments (this
works perhaps less well than one might hope).  Further, it's my
understanding that REQUIRE is actually somewhat deprecated.  The CL
hyperspec says:

"Notes:

The functions provide and require are deprecated."

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing that we do this, just that
it's something we might want to make a conscious decision about.

Best,
Robert