[Openmcl-devel] impressions of openmcl, the cocoa bridge, and easygui

Rich Sutton rich at richsutton.com
Fri Jun 27 22:48:21 PDT 2008

hello all,

i have recently been exploring openmcl and would like to briefly pass
on my impressions and some suggestions for what they are worth.
first, about myself.  i am an artificial intelligence researcher and
previous long-time user of mcl, and i have turned to openmcl (rather
than, say, sbcl) primarily because of the hope of regaining the ease
of access to gui features that i remember from mcl.  thus it is these
features that i concentrated on in examining openmcl.  to try things
out i ported some existing graphics code from mcl to openmcl,
converting the quicktime calls to the appropriate calls to the cocoa
bridge, and working from the example of easygui.  specifically, i
revived some code for quickly throwing up simple line graphs.  here is
a simple example with the screen shot showing that it works in openmcl: