[Openmcl-devel] Is this a bug?

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Sun Mar 16 18:36:49 PDT 2008

On Mar 16, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> The release notes say:

Ah, yes, those pesky release notes.  I really should bookmark those.

> Whether that's more trouble than it's worth is another question.

IMHO it isn't.  I don't see any reason to prevent lexical bindings of
DEFGLOBALed symbols.  You can lexically bind symbols that are defined
as symbol macros.  I don't see any justification for making binding of
DEFGLOBALed symbols any more restrictive than for global symbol macros.

I will also make the observation that DEFGLOBAL does not actually
prevent one from producing code that binds the symbols in question.
It only prevents one from producing such code after the DEFGLOBAL has
been evaluated.  This may seem like a pedantic point, but it is
significant when doing incremental development.  Today I restarted a
long-running Lisp process only to discover that a whole bunch of code
that had been working just fine now refused to compile because I had
written a bunch of code that use the symbol VIEW as an argument, and
then wrote:

(defclass view (ns:ns-view)
   (container)
   (:metaclass ns:+ns-object))