[Openmcl-devel] Cockpit Error using SAVE-APPLICATION?

j-anthony at comcast.net j-anthony at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 11:44:19 PST 2008

Hi,

I am creating an application via save-application.  On start with the
created image (at this point is w/o the kernel appended so is started with
ccl -I <image-name>), I am blowing off with an error which makes me think I
am doing something wrong, which is likely obvious to those who've done this
with CCL before (I've done this all the time with ACL).

Anyway, here is the very simple example:

$ ccl
Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.2-r10552  (LinuxX8664)!
?
(defun apri-toplevel () (format t "~%Persistence starts") (dotimes (i 10)
(sleep 5) (format t ".")))
APRI-TOPLEVEL
?
(save-application "/var/aprigo/Persistence/persistence.lx64"
:toplevel-function 'apri-toplevel)
$
$ ccl -I /var/aprigo/Persistence/persistence.lx64
Error during early application initialization:

Fault during write to memory address #x165CE9F8
? for help
[31383] OpenMCL kernel debugger: (K)
[31383] OpenMCL kernel debugger: Killed
$

If I change the toplevel to:

(defun apri-toplevel () :apri-done)

then it seems to work.  By "seems to work" I mean that it starts and does
not give the error.  But I would have thought that since the toplevel just
immediately returns, the image would exit.  Apparently that is not the
semantics of save-application/toplevel-function-behavior.  So, questions
are:

1. Is trying to write from the toplevel somehow bogus and that is causing
the error?  If not, anyone know what I am doing wrong with this?

2. If the toplevel isn't the thing which controls a "controlled" exit, what
is a/the canonical way of exiting from such an image?

Many thanks in advance for any info

/Jon