[Openmcl-devel] cl-http on clozure-cl

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Sun Apr 5 01:33:35 PDT 2009

Am 05.04.2009 um 06:01 schrieb Gary Byers:

> As far as I know, no one's done a port.
>
> I'd have to think (perhaps naively) that doing a port involves writing
> some platform-specific code (for things like networking/threads/
> pathnames)
> that adheres to some public interface, and that there isn't likely
> to be
> a whole lot of that code.

There is some code. From character handling, thread handling, using
platform specific error conditions, some access to Unix facilities,
ssl interface, getting into the platform specific streams efficiently,
setting up packages, ...

> Anytime that I've ever looked at cl-http, I've been unable to
> determine
> how its code is organized, where that platform-specific code should
> go,
> and what those public interfaces are.

CL-HTTP never had the low levels really nicely organized in a portable
way. Port specific files are in a directory for that port. Some ports
started by just copying such a directory (the MCL directory) and
changing things for the platform. There is code duplication and it
makes maintenance harder. But it has also helped to experiment with
different port implementations.

The higher-level parts of CL-HTTP are using the 'low-level' package
WWW-UTILS. So the package definition is a good overview, what needs to
be implemented. CLIM-SYS was in some ports used for threads, etc.

> I -think- that I once heard that someone (maybe Karsten Poeck ?) had
> written something - either a porting guide or a skeletal portability
> layer or both - for CL-HTTP, but I don't remember where I saw that and
> couldn't find it the last time that I looked.

Some time ago Karsten Poeck wrote a new low-level substrate that
should make porting easier. It would need some hacking to make it
support CCL, AFAIK. I'm also not sure how much of CL-HTTP it (the new
port substrate) supports and how efficiently (say, for a multi-core
capable Lisp). To find out more it is best to get in contact with
Karsten directly. If there are improvements in that area, I'm willing
to patch them into the CL-HTTP sources. Karsten has access, too.

Regards,

Rainer Joswig