[Openmcl-devel] Is setf atomic?

David L. Rager ragerdl at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 21 11:32:33 PDT 2009

We all knew this thread would reawaken someday.

Is application of a rplacd atomic (as opposed to the evaluation of a
replacd's arguments, which are of course non-atomic)?  That is, if I
replace the cdr of a cons, can I be guaranteed that a separate thread
reading that cons pair will always see the old cdr or the new cdr and
not some weird hybrid?

FWIW, I'm on a 64 bit machine.

Thanks~
David