[Openmcl-devel] ccl manual (was Re: trace on recursive functions)

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Fri Dec 11 08:07:11 PST 2009

Liam,

One of the factors is choosing the right tool is whether
you need the kinds of advanced features needed for
doing "book design"-level customization, indexes, and
all that sort of thing used to make professional-level
manuals.

If you're doing something more modest, there's
a very nice tool that we use for design documents
and things like that, called "reStructured Text".

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

It lets you write your document with an ordinary text
editor, and makes it look very plausible and easy-to-read
in that form.  You do section headings like this:

The Sequence Functions

and you can do tables with vertical bars and underscores,
etc, so that it looks like a table in ordinary fixed-width
characters.

Then there are programs to convert this to HTML or to LaTex,
and the LaTex can be converted to PDF.

-- Dan