[Openmcl-devel] ccl manual (was Re: trace on recursive functions)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sun Dec 13 12:05:25 PST 2009

On 12 Dec 2009, at 16:11, Alexander Repenning wrote:

> Sorry, but I will have to disagree. Sanity, or personal preference,
> is one thing - I think few people actually love xml - but for each
> person capable to write a woking s-expression there are 1,000,000
> able to write a working HTML/XML expression. The market has spoken

Sorry, this is just silly.  It is true, but almost none of those
people are using CCL, let alone writing documentation for it.  I would
suggest that from the set of people who might want to write
documentation for CCL approximately 100% will be able to write a
working s-expression.  Indeed, we could turn this on its head: we
probably do not want people who can't write a working s-expression
writing documentation for CCL!

I think there's also a strong dog-food argument for using some Lisp-
based system: we think Lisp is good right?

Against that is the fact that maintaining your own tool might be a lot
of work you don't want – I wouldn't fancy maintaining my own Wiki
implementation for instance.  That's what killed DTML.

OK, two marginal rants in 20 minutes  is too many, sorry!

--tim