[Openmcl-devel] ANNOUNCE: MCLIDE 1.0b

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Wed Dec 16 13:28:16 PST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Matthew D. Swank wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:18:11 -0800
> Terje Norderhaug <terje at in-progress.com> wrote:
>
>> MCLIDEs user interface is based on the mature IDE of Macintosh
>> Common Lisp. It provides rich interactive development and
>> debugging tools in the form of dialogs interacting with the target
>> Lisp.
>
> Does this mean it actually is (written in) MCL?

The essential idea of MCLIDE is to be a modern GUI based lisp IDE
independent from the targeted lisp implementations and platforms. The
application is technically a set of portable Common Lisp modules
coupled to the IDE of a host lisp implementation using techniques
from Context-Oriented Programming.

The host lisp for the initial edition is indeed MCL. I determined
that MCL offered the best opportunity to rapidly create a working
proof of concept and a usable prototype to explore ideas and learn
more about the needs of the lisp developer community.

Yet MCLIDE is in no way married to MCL. In fact, an alternative
edition with Clozure CL as host is in the works.

-- Terje Norderhaug
    terje at in-progress.com