[Openmcl-devel] (how) is ffigen to be made to work (?)

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Feb 24 19:03:00 PST 2009

This is a mess; there should be a wiki page explaining this.

The easiest way to obtain a version of ffigen that works (on most platforms;
see below)  is to build it yourself from svn.

For most platforms, you can do:

shell> svn co http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/ffigen4/trunk/ffigen4

You'll also need to obtain the GCC 4.0 "core" sources and the GCC 4.0
ObjC frontend from gcc.gnu.org or a mirror site; the files that you
need are "gcc-core-4.0.0.tar.bz2" and "gcc-objc-4.0.0.tar.bz2"; be
sure to get the .bz2 versions.  Copy these archives to the ffigen4
directory created by the svn checkout above; don't uncompress/untar
them.  Then:

shell> cd ffigen4
shell> make

That should:

- un-tar/uncompress the archives
- apply some patches to the GCC sources
- run configure/make to produce a modified version of the ObjC frontend.
   (ObjC is s superset of C; there's no real harm in having the frontend
   understand ObjC extensions even on platfroms where they're rarely used.
- create a compressed tar file that contains that binary, an "h-to-ffi.sh"
   shell script, and (in some cases) some compiler-specific .h files.  That
   archive is functionally equivalen to the ffigen archives that have been
   distributed in the past.

That should "work" for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Win32, and older/32-bit
Darwin code that doesn't use ObjC 2.0 extensions.  For more modern
Darwin versions (where the .h files may contain those ObjC extensions),
there's a separate branch that patches Apple's "gcc-5465":

shell> svn co http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/ffigen4/branches/ffigen-apple-gcc-5465/ffigen4

That svn tree contains Apple's 'gcc-5465.tar.gz', so the "svn co" will pause
for however long it takes to download that.

Then:

shell> cd ffigen4
shell> make

and things should work as they do in the trunk.

For Win64 ... (sound of crickets chirping).  Win64 support is being added
on the gcc-4.4 branch; when we first started working on the Win64 port,
the Win64 GCC couldn't reliably compile itself natively.  (I may be
misremembering some of that; gcc-4.4 depends on several additional
libraries -gmp, libdecnumber, ...- beyond what 4.0 did, and the problem
may have had to do with building those libraries natively on Win64.)
I wound up building a cross-translator on Linux, but (since that's
always involved copying lots of .h and .ffi files back and forth between
Linux and Win64) it's suboptimal.  It's likely that whatever problems
prevented doing a native Win64 build a year ago are long gone and it's
worth trying to do a native Win64 build again; I think that there are
also some issues having to do with the fact that gcc 4.4 recognizes
some things ("decimal numbers") as primitive types and we need to
sort of recognize them even though there's no obvious way to map them
to a primitive Lisp foreign type.

I think that Apple has contributed their ObjC 2.0 extensions back into
the GCC sources, so at some point it should be possible to build an
ffigen from the same set of gcc sources and expect that to work on
all platfroms that the lisp runs on.

I don't think that it's practical for us to distribute ffigen binaries
as we have in the past: there are too many variables (word size, ABI
and library version differences.)  It's hard to do this just for the
CCL lisp kernel, which (compared to gcc) is a relatively tiny/simple C
program with relatively few and relatively simple external
dependencies. It's hard to build C programs on Leopard that'll run on
Tiger (or at the very least it's hard to modify GCC's autobuild setup
to ensure that the right compiler options are passed around, and the
same sorts of concerns apply to varying degrees on other platforms as
well.

Building ffigen from source takes a few (for some value of "a few")
minutes, as does doing the svn checkout and the gcc download. An
ffigen binary that you build yourself on a particular system is much
more likely to work on that system than one that I build on a
generally similar system, so this seems like a reasonable tradeoff.