[Openmcl-devel] Lisp User Interface LUI (was: Currency Converter Example)

Brian Mastenbrook brian at mastenbrook.net
Fri Jan 23 13:49:21 PST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Can I suggest another idea? I'd love to see a cross-platform GUI
> development system based on WebKit, with Lisp access to the DOM tree
> and to DOM events. The resulting application need not necessarily
> look like a web browser, and developing the application doesn't
> imply having a web server as you could build up the DOM tree from
> code at runtime. DOM events would be handled by Lisp, so there'd be
> no need for JavaScript. WebKit is a great cross-platform display
> engine for an application. It doesn't handle everything (sound,
> video, and 3D animation or fast 2D animation being notable deficits,
> though these are not out-of-the-box available in most other cross-
> platform GUI solutions either). For widget interaction it'd be a
> good start and very flexible as you can use CSS to style things
> according to user preference or to fit in with an application theme.
> To address the remaining issues there's no reason why a set of
> bindings to OpenAL and OpenGL couldn't be included as complementary,
> with the ability to embed an OpenGL context in the DOM tree.

It looks like what I was talking about actually exists at least in
some form: http://titaniumapp.com/

I haven't had a chance yet to look at the API. It looks like it's
focused on JavaScript but I could certainly imagine using the
framework and building a Lisp interface to the DOM.
--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net
http://brian.mastenbrook.net/