[Openmcl-devel] Smart quotes

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Tue Jul 14 18:53:04 PDT 2009

Since CCL is unicode-enabled, I would like to hack Hemlock so that I
can easily use directional quote characters like «this» and “this”.  I
have a customized DefaultKeyBinding.dict that binds these characters
to the (shift-)option-[ and (shift-)option-] key-events, which I know
work because I used them to compose the previous sentence.  But if I
do this:

(bind-key "self insert" #k"meta-[")

then option-[ gives me a square bracket, not a left-quote.  Looking
through the code I don't see any straightforward way to bind a key to
insert a character other than itself stripped of all modifiers.  I
suppose I could do what I want by defining a custom command for each
character, but that just seems horribly ugly.  Is there a better way
to do this?  There would seem to be a lot of applications for this
sort of thing in a unicode world, like maybe binding option-l to
insert a greek lambda.

Thanks,
rg