[Openmcl-devel] Building trunk on Windows

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jun 2 14:15:29 PDT 2009

It's true that the kernel needs to be updated, but the reason for the
error is that the lisp file that defines 'kernel-path' isn't getting
compiled/loaded before another file that references it tries to do so.
There can be any number of reasons for this, but the best solution
is usually to have REBUILD-CCL delete all fasl files and force everything
to be recompiled.

? (rebuild-ccl :clean t)        ; on Windows

or

? (rebuild-ccl :full t)         ; on non-Windows systems

will do that; the latter will also do a 'make clean; make' on the
lisp kernel, but (since that would involve overwriting a running
executable file) it doesn't work on Windows.

Just

? (rebuild-ccl)

will only recompile those source files whose corresponding fasl
either doesn't exist or is older than the source. There are more
things that can go wrong in that case (the fasl may have been
compiled in a different session but not loaded into the current
session, an svn client might think that it was doing you a
favor by making your working copy have the same modified date
it has on the server, etc.)  that doing as full a rebuild as
possible is strongly recommended.

(I made the changes in question and do recognize that it's
hard to setup a kernel build environment on Windows and usually/
often/sometimes check in Windows kernels when kernel sources
change; sorry that I neglected to so so this time, but the
error during recompile is a separate issue related to that
set of changes.)