[Openmcl-devel] Lisp for the 21 century: how to deal with URLs

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Mon Jun 8 00:12:36 PDT 2009

Quoting Alexander Repenning (ralex at cs.colorado.edu):
> It would be nice if we could bring Lisp into the 21 century by adding
> some kind of native support for URLs. For instance, with more and more
> people posting Lisp files by attaching them to emails how about being
> able to just load them via (load URL)? Chances are you already keep
> your files in some web accessible repository, e.g., Google Code/ svn

Scieneer CL has support for URIs as namestrings:
http://www.scieneer.com/scl/doc/pathnames.html

I haven't used it myself, but Douglas Crosher helped port cxml to
Scieneer, and the URI <-> pathname mappings necessitated by XML's use of
URIs for entities are certainly implemented very cleanly on SCL.

d.