[Openmcl-devel] User contributions

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Sat Jun 13 15:51:53 PDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Ron Garret wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Ron Garret wrote:
>

>>> Does your code perhaps lack some (eval-when ...)
>>>

>> Undoubtedly.  Like I said, it's not quite ready for inclusion in
>> contribs.
>
> BTW, a workaround until I get around to fixing this if you really want
> fasl files is to load everything first and then compile the files.

And just in case anyone actually tried this, it won't work.  The
reason is that I'm doing (essentially) this:

(defconstant +guardian+ (gensym))

as part of my iterators code.  But it turns out this is a broken idiom
because, as Gary points out in http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/539:

The spec says:

"If a defconstant form appears as a top level form, the compiler must
recognize that name names a constant variable. An implementation may
choose to evaluate the value-form at compile time, load time, or both.
Therefore, users must ensure that the initial-value can be evaluated
at compile time (regardless of whether or not references to name
appear in the file) and that it always evaluates to the same value."

I am open to suggestions on how to fix this because this leave me at a
bit of a loss.

rg