[Openmcl-devel] SSL_load_error_strings

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jun 23 03:54:34 PDT 2009

On a Fedora 10 system (which is likely sort of a distant cousin of
whatever version of CentOS you're running), 'libssl.so' is a symbolic
link to a particular version of the SSL library; the versioned library
is installed as part of an 'openssl' package, while the link is part
of an 'openssl-devel' package.  There are possibly both 64- and 32-bit
versions, and you seem to be running a 64-bit version of CCL (and
therefore want to install the 64-bit version(s)).

The original error about failure to resolve (determine the address of)
the symbol "SSL_load_error_strings" would usually occur if something
tries to use (call the code at) that address.  Before reaching that
point, the lisp package ("drakma" or one of its dependencies) that
you're using would likely have tried to open the library that defines
that symbol.  That presumably didn't happen or quietly failed; you might
want to see if you can find out what's going on there (since loading the
library would be the first step here ...)