[Openmcl-devel] Process attributes

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Jun 25 14:27:32 PDT 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Terje Norderhaug wrote:

> I am working on extending the Swank server (for Slime) to provide
> more information about the processes of a remote Clozure than what
> currently is available. But:
>
> Calling ccl::process-total-run-time returns NIL on Clozure Version
> 1.3-r11936  (DarwinPPC32). Is there a way to get the total run time
> of a process in Clozure (actively executing, not just how long time
> it is since the process was created)?

If the OS keeps track of this, then there's generally some
OS-dependent way of asking about it.  (I'm sure that there's a way to
get that info on Mach/OSX and on Windows, -think- that I know how to
do it on Linux, suspect that there are ways of doing it on Solaris,
don't really know how to do it on FreeBSD.)

> Also, MCL provides a process-last-run-time that can be used to
> determine how long time a process has been idle. Does Clozure have
> such functionality?

The OS is the only thing that could possibly know this and I don't
know of any OS that exposes the info.  (There's generally no way
in which the information could be accurate, since the thread you'd
be asking about might start and stop running an arbitrary number of
times while you were asking.)

> I've peeked into l1-processes.lisp to no avail.

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.