[Openmcl-devel] Clozure CL 1.3-RC1 available

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Mar 8 21:44:33 PDT 2009

I got a 32-bit ("Core Duo") iMac that I'd lent to a friend back a
few days ago.  It had Leopard installed on it, I didn't have
Tiger install disks, and ... well, I was able to set the clock back
a year or so and install a copy of 10.4.7 server that's available on
ADC.

I couldn't reproduce the problems that you saw - things like (QUIT)
and ^C behaved as they're supposed to.  That suggests that one of more
of the following is true:

- some change was introduced between 10.4.7 and 10.4.11 that causes
   this stuff to behave differently
- OSX Client and Server versions differ in this regard
- there's some third-party or other software that affects how Mach-level
   exceptions are reported to applications.

I don't have a good guess as to what the "third party or other software"
would be; whatever it is, it'd have to hook itself into some fairly
low-levels of the OS.  We've had reports of some versions of VMWare
running on some kinds of hosts messing up exception-handling code
in at least the guest OS, which sort of suggests that virtualization
software -might- muck with this stuff in a way that'd affect the
host.

I don't know which of the possibilities mentioned above is most
likely (or if there's another explanation that I'm not thinking of.)
I might be able to upgrade the Server installation to 10.4.11, which
would tell us whether the first possibility explains things.

If anyone else has access to a first-generation Intel Mac (a 32-bit
machine, something sold in the first several months of 2006) running
Tiger, it'd be interesting to know whether the lisp behaves correctly
(doesn't go all non-linear in response to ^C or (QUIT)) on that
platform.