[Openmcl-devel] Stream X is private to TTY-LISTENER

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun May 3 11:29:29 PDT 2009

As noted in section 9.1.2 of the manual, functions that create streams
(OPEN, MAKE-SOCKET) take a :SHARING argument whose value controls whether
and how the stream can be used by multiple threads.  The default value
of :SHARING is :PRIVATE, which means that the stream can only be used
from the thread that created it; attempting to do I/O on a :SHARING :PRIVATE
stream from a thread that didn't create it results in the error in the
message subject.

As should be noted in the manual's dictionary entry for RUN-PROGRAM but
isn't, RUN-PROGRAM also takes a :SHARING argument whose value controls
how any streams created when the :INPUT, :OUTPUT, or :ERROR arguments are
given a value of :STREAM are shared.