[Openmcl-devel] Hemlock clipboard bug

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Mon May 18 16:20:56 PDT 2009

On May 18, 2009, at 3:21 PM, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> On May 18, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Ron Garret wrote:
>
>> Along those lines, I have found a reliable way to reproduce the
>> clipboard corruption problem:
>>
>> 1.  Open a listener.
>>
>> 2.  Type "12345", select and copy it
>>
>> 3.  Paste.  This should work.
>>
>> 4.  Hit delete three times.  You should have deleted "345".  Fewer
>> deletes don't seem to produce the problem.
>>
>> 5.  Paste.  This should still work, i.e. you should have pasted
>> "12345" again.  Your command line should now read "123451212345"
>>
>> 6.  Repeat steps 4 and 5.  On my machine, the contents of the
>> clipboard are now "5345" instead of "12345".
>>
>> I'd love to know if other people are able to reproduce this.
>
> I see the same thing;  clearly a bug.  I'm taking a look at it now.
>
> If Hemlock sees more than Character Deletion Threshold (default 5)
> characters get killed consecutively, it saves them on the kill ring.
>
> The act of pasting a string from the Mac OS clipboard doesn't appear
> to do anything about resetting this notion, so after you press
> delete 5 times, Hemlock saves the characters onto the kill ring, and
> hence, onto the clipboard.

I don't think this is the problem.  If I set HEMLOCK::CHARACTER-
DELETION-THRESHOLD to max-positive-fixnum (which is the only proper
value for this parameter IMNSHO) the behavior persists.  Moreover, it
actually *doesn't* save all the deleted characters, only some of
them.  For example, if I type "123456789", then hit delete nine times,
then cmd-V, I end up with "6789".

rg