[Openmcl-devel] Speed, compilers and multi-core processors

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Tue May 19 06:37:38 PDT 2009

I completely agree with this. Before I retired from Cray last summer I
was primarily investigating alternative computational paradigms for
both massively multi-threaded and multi-core architectures. A couple
of years ago, as Cray's representative, I attended a small NSF-
sponsored conference  of about 6 industry and 6 university
representatives to discuss what sorts of research should be done to be
ready for the multi-core architectures that we are beginning to see
now. Microsoft's representative (Burton Smith, who was previously the
architect of Cray's multi-threaded supercomputers) called this the
preeminent current challenge for the software industry.

Subsequently I identified a number of potential applications and
computational approaches that are (or could be made to be) consistent
with massively multi-threaded and/or multi-core architectures. These
approaches included graph algorithms, genetic algorithms, fuzzy logic,
memory-resident databases, and several others. Most of these would
require quite a bit of software infrastructure development before they
would be easy to use. These research/development suggestions got an
enthusiastic reception from the technical community within Cray, but
they couldn't stand up to a business-case analysis. There is a chicken-
and-egg problem for Cray (and presumably for most vendors other than
Intel and Microsoft) in that they can't afford to invest in this until
there is sufficient demand; and there won't be much demand until users
have a chance to try out and discover good uses for the new paradigms.
I toyed with the idea of trying to promote a CCL port to Cray's multi-
threaded architecture, but initial discussion with other senior
management convinced me that it would never fly for lack of current
demand. I briefly had visions of having access to the world's largest
and fastest lisp machine; oh well  ...

NSF and DARPA will undoubtedly fund research in this area and they are
known to take some chances on new ideas. But given how I saw them
being pulled by influential industry and university factions, I expect
that much of the funding will be used for small extensions to current
paradigms rather than doing anything too radical. I hope I'm wrong
about that.

So the hope that I still have is that people  such as those who
subscribe to this newsgroup will continue to push the boundaries on
their own; that CCL will turn into a really good multi-core tool to
facilitate such research, and that eventually others will see the
value too. Good luck to you all!

Paul