[Openmcl-devel] My beach balls runneth over

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Tue May 19 11:45:18 PDT 2009

I regret to report that CCL 1.3 seems to still have some pretty
serious bugs.  The UI is much improved, pretty much usable at this
point.  But as soon as I lean on it (i.e. try to run some of Alexander
Repenning's demos) it hangs  with the dreaded SBOD.  Sometimes it
hangs without my even having to lean on it, just playing around with
Hemlock (and by "playing around" I mean just editing, not hacking the
Hemlock code).  On one occasion I ended up in the CCL Kernel
debugger.  I have not yet played around enough to see if I can find a
reliable way to reproduce the problem.  Many of the demos do work, but
I have yet to go more than about 10 minutes at a time without a crash.

My questions are:

1.  Is anyone else seeing this behavior or is it just me?  I can't
imagine how Alexander was able to write this code if he was having the
same experience I am.

2.  If this is a known problem, what's the prognosis for getting it
fixed?

3.  Is there anything I can do when I encounter the SBOD to extract
useful debugging information?

Thanks,
rg