[Openmcl-devel] My beach balls runneth over

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Tue May 19 17:38:27 PDT 2009

I think it's actually much simpler than this.  I'm able to reproduce
part of the problem simply by doing:

(dotimes (i 1000000) (print i ccl::*stdout*) (print i))

and then closing the AltConsole window.  It's not beach-balled in this
case, but CPU usage is zero, and attempting to open a new listener
hangs with a "Lock wait for recursive lock" message in the mini-
buffer.  Re-opening the AltConsole makes it start up again.  Hm, turns
out I can actually interrupt execution while it's hung in this case
and verify that the counter is not incrementing.  The break is
invariably in CCL::FD-WRITE, which is not surprising.

So what seems to be happening is that when the AltConsole window is
closed, the AltConsole buffer backs up to the point where attempts to
write to the AltConsole will block.  If while in this state the event-
handling thread attempts to write to the AltConsole, it will block and
you're wedged.

This does not explain why I sometimes end up in the kernel debugger,
but it's possible we're dealing with two separate problems here.

rg