[Openmcl-devel] Speed, compilers and multi-core processors

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Fri May 22 13:52:09 PDT 2009

> For all my playing devil's advocate regarding Clojure I really do appreciate
> all the work that's gone into it.
> It's one of the best Lisp's on the JVM to date.
>
> Has anyone here tried out ABCL (Armed Bear Common Lisp)?  It runs
> on the JVM and is supposed to be Common Lisp.

Yes, I did (Peter Graves invited me to take over it's maintenance last
august, which I did). It works very well for me (I use it for a
commercial desktop application; my users don't really know it's Lisp)
and a number of others, years already for some.

Recent work has improved it quite a bit: last October the Maxima test
suite failed over 1400 tests (of ca 4500), now it only fails 75. The
reduction in ANSI tests is less spectacular, but in the next release
(0.15, to be released at the beginning of June) only 34 failures will
have remained; about half of them related to the pretty printer.

Hope that adds to the discussion.

Bye,

Erik.