[Openmcl-devel] CCL is a mess

mikel evins mevins at mac.com
Wed May 27 08:32:44 PDT 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 10:10 AM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On May 27, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Glen Foy wrote:
>
>> I've been working with Hemlock a lot lately, and it is professionally
>> written code.  Any problems that we are currently having are more
>> likely the result of the integration of Cocoa and Hemlock, not with
>> Hemlock itself.
>
> Then it should either be properly integrated or discarded.
>
>> The problem, as I see, is a matter of PERCEPTION.  The IDE, including
>> the Cocoa port of Hemlock, is a work in progress.
>

> It has been a work in progress for a number of years already.

That seems a perverse reason for complaint.

The existing app began as an experiment in using the FFI to make API
calls into Cocoa, and it hasn't been much more than that for most of
its existence. Every so often someone would, when not overwhelmed by
other responsibilities that someone was paying for, add a few
features, fix a few bugs, or update a few bits of stale code.
Eventually, in tiny increments, it became featureful enough for people
to start complaining about it.

Now there are actual scheduled resources being brought to bear on the
Cocoa app. Saying what one would like to see done is likely right now
to yield actual improvements in the app. Lobbing brickbats at the
people working on those improvements isn't.

--me