[Openmcl-devel] PDFKit crashes

Ron Garret ron at awun.net
Wed May 27 23:06:08 PDT 2009

Thanks!  It actually turns out that it's the pdf-view that needed to
be initialized.

It turns out that I've been forgetting to #/init things all over the
place but things still mostly work for me.  Am I just getting lucky?
Should #/init always be called when #/alloc is called?  If not, how do
you know when you need to call #/init?  (Feel free to treat those as
rhetorical questions.  I'm sure there's a Cocoa memory management
primer somewhere that I can go read.)

Just for the record, SCE is supposed to be P1.  The document I was
using to test with originally was called sce.pdf (because it was a
scanned electricity bill from Southern California Edison).  I intended
to rename it to be more generic to avoid confusion and ended up
creating more confusion.  Sorry about that.

Also for the record, I think calling #/description for printing is
fine despite the potential fragility.  The extra functionality is very
useful, and the right way IMO to make it less fragile is with a
wrapper layer that handles all the initialization and memory management.

rg