[Openmcl-devel] Tracing

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Thu Nov 19 12:51:31 PST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 15:35, Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:
> For testing purposes I tried to trace VALUES and the trace looped
> for ever; what can we trace?

This is answered in CLHS 11.1.2.1.2:

> Except where explicitly allowed, the consequences are undefined if
> any of the following actions are performed on an external symbol of
> the COMMON-LISP package:

> 9. Tracing it (via trace).

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/11_abab.htm

Furthermore, tracing any function which is defined by a Common Lisp
implementation is practically subject to a similar restriction; the
problem being that there is no guarantee that any given function is
not in fact involved in the implementation of TRACE.

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>