[Openmcl-devel] CCL startup script (ccl & ccl64) is not Bourne Shell compatible

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Tue Oct 13 08:18:59 PDT 2009

On 13 Oct 2009, at 16:05, Daniel Weinreb wrote:

> Pardon me for the Linux-newbie question, but:
> what does "/usr/bin/env" do if you don't give
> it any options?  The man page sort of makes it
> look like a no-op if you don't say -i or NAME=VALUE.
> Thanks.

It finds its argument in PATH and execs it.  So essentially it's a
mechanism for not having to specify a phase-of-the-moon-dependent path
for the interpreter: so long as env stays in a standard place, you can
use it to find utilities which may not be in standard places but are
in the path.

So doing this means that you can write scripts which are (more)
portable, even if the actual interpreter may not live in a standard
place.