[Openmcl-devel] X11 from scratch

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Oct 16 16:58:43 UTC 2009

Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:
> Dear,
> I would like to create an X11 package from scratch using FFI and need
> some help
> I did create an X11/C/populate.sh file in the headers directory with
> all .h files in /usr/include/X11/ directory.
> In ccl prompt I did the following:
> ccl> (require "PARSE-FFI")
> ccl> (ccl::parse-standard-ffi-files :X11)
> ccl> (use-interface-dir :X11)
> and now I do not know what to do.
> I would like to create an X11 package and use as following:
> > (require :X11)
> > (xcreatewindow ...)
Write code ?

Some people find it awkward to deal with X11 at the FFI level and prefer
to use an
interface layer called "CLX"; there's a slightly old version of CLX for
CCL in

As far as I know, that code basically works; there are several compiler
generated when it's compiled and I think that I actually cleaned them up
recently but must have gotten distracted before packaging those changes up.

Several years ago, Gilbert Baumann converted the CLX manual to HTML; it's
still available online at: