[Openmcl-devel] Compiler warnings

Taoufik Dachraoui taoufik.dachraoui at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 18 18:19:21 UTC 2009

On Oct 18, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Gary Palter wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Taoufik Dachraoui wrote:
>>> One of the most annoying things about SETF at the top-level in CMUCL
>>> is that it does (or did) effectively declare the name as special.
>>> That can have fairly pervasive and unfortunate side-effects.
>>> So it's a good thing it does not do this in CCL.
>> At the price of having a fourth kind of symbol, but this is not a big
>> issue.
> SETF does not create a symbol.  And there is certainly not a fourth
> type of symbol involved.
Forgive my wording; I should have said a binding of X in the global

> You are being confused, still, by the evaluator vs. compiler
> generating warnings.
Not anymore, my concerns was not about the compiler, I just wanted to
why the compiler is raising an error, because I was thinking that X is
a newly create
symbol after running (setf x 1) at top-level, but I was mistaken;
actually SETF binds
the symbol X to 1 in the global environment, and X is neither dynamic,
nor lexical
nor constant and this is why the compiler complains.

As a beginner how do I guess the behavior of SETF when I learned from
the specs
that there is three kinds of symbols: dynamic, lexical and constant.

But the (SETF X 1) in CCL does not create a dynamic variable as in
CMUCL and this is
the source of my confusion.

Thank you all