[Openmcl-devel] A plug for UTF-8

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Tue Sep 1 15:58:15 PDT 2009

I would like to take a moment to lobby on behalf of UTF-8.  This is
not a huge big deal because it's easy enough to convert from one
encoding to another once you know how, but I think it would be a nice
selling point for CCL is things tended to Just Work, and one way to
make them Just Work is to have an encoding convention that is
universally followed so that newcomers can set it and forget it.  The
reason I think UTF-8 is a better choice than, say, Latin-1 is that
UTF-8 gives you access to the entire unicode code space, and in
particular the lower-case Greek lambda character (λ) and European-
style «quotation marks» which are self-balancing and hence let you
build nested strings without the need for backslash escapes.

Thank you for your indulgence during this commercial break.  You may
now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

rg