[Openmcl-devel] Multiple IDEs for CLZ [Re: A plug for nx1-combination-hook]

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Mon Sep 7 15:49:41 PDT 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2009, at 17:52, Terje Norderhaug wrote:
>> I am in the camp preferring a more spartan, focused IDE for myself,
>> with just the functionality I need. But I can see the attraction of
>> toolbars etc. It could be useful to have a variety of IDEs on top of
>> a lisp environment, supporting the taste/needs of different
>> developers.
>
> I agree with this, but I feel perhaps more strongly.  I use Eclipse
> relatively frequently, and it basically makes me feel fairly ill
> every time I do so.  I'm not a very fluent Java programmer but I
> still do not want something that overwhelming (and I can't see
> anyone who can type wanting that).  It may be that younger
> programmers today *do* want that - I guess the fact that Eclipse
> exists at all must indicate that.

I recognize that programmers vary in how we prefer to work with
development environments. Some are able to remember a high number of
commands with little aid (making unix shell and emacs fit like a
glove). Others benefit from aided recall and ease of (re)
discoverability. Experience and time spent in an environment may
change ones preference.

> FWIW I quite liked LispWork's IDE which was a good compromise and
> had a number of powerful tools (mainly the grapher).  I would still
> be using that if I could justify the cost given how much CL I write
> now.  So looking at that might be interesting.

We could have LispWork's IDE as *one* of the development environments
available for use with Clozure CL.

-- Terje Norderhaug