[Openmcl-devel] A plug for UTF-8

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Thu Sep 10 09:36:07 PDT 2009

I'm not advocating any change in CCL, I'm just urging people to as a
matter of common practice set their default encodings to UTF-8 and
publish their code using UTF-8.  That's all.

The reason for this (and for nearly everything I'm advocating
nowadays) is that I want to make CL in general and CCL in particular
as attractive as possible to new users.  I believe one way to do this
is insure that to the maximum extent possible things "just work".
Nowadays, a big part of "just working" is to minimize the amount of
mental energy users have to spend fiddling with unicode encodings.
Unfortunately, the unicode standard is b0rken so it is not possible to
reduce this fiddling to zero, but until unicode is fixed I think just
having everyone use UTF-8 by convention is the next best thing.  The
situation with unicode today is analogous to that which plagued IBM PC
add-on cards before plug-and-play came along.  Users had to manually
fiddle with various hardware configurations.  Some day the unicode
community will fix the mess they've created and come up with a
standard way to embed the encoding in the byte stream.  But until that
happens the best we can do is just all follow some convention.  And
the simplest convention is to just pick an encoding and stick with it.

rg