[Openmcl-devel] Swank stability [Re: A plug for nx1-combination-hook]

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Fri Sep 11 12:02:43 PDT 2009

Terje Norderhaug wrote:

>> At least make it possible for a client, such as Slime, to find out
>> which version of the Swank protocol is supported by a particular
>> runinng Common Lisp.  Keep the initial part of the protocol, the
>> part needed to get to the point where you find out the version
>> number, as simple, and as likely to be upward-compatible in the
>> face of changes, as possible.
>>

> Finding out the protocol version early on is supported in Swank as
> is. After connecting to the swank server, the client can send a
> request for (SWANK:CONNECTION-INFO)
Yes, I know.  The "keep the initial part" is what bit me
recently; Slime and Swank were incompatible before
we got to the point where swank:connection-info could
be sent.  I'm not sure which parts of this change are
in the upstream version versus what we're using at ITA.
I haven't had time to look into the details yet, but I will
as soon as I can.